So it’s Halloween season again. Don’t get me wrong, I LOOOVE the creativity that surrounds this Holliday.
This is what we’ve come up with last year.
- cardboards (I used the cardboard boxes that you receive when shopping online);
- pink paint and glitter … of course;
- an old boa pink scarf for the feathers;
- glue gun;
- modpodge (optional)
- cutter and cutting board;
- some thick string or ribbon;
- some painter’s tape (optional);
- acrylic paint and some big paintbrush;
So, it’s important to determine the size of your costume as it needs to fit your child (or yourself :))
So the main box, the “body” box must coincide with your size and body shape.
Careful also when sizing the unicorn head : you don’t want it to enable your vision.
You can also cut a tail, optional, but it’s the same process.
The strings will make it possible to “wear” it lower or higher.
Let’s go now:
Draw and cut the unicorn head shape (minding the size).
Then, and you don’t have too, but I thought the edges were a little bit baaah, so I taped them. It’s painter’s tape, easy and smooth.
On the main box, the “body” box, secure every corner, with some tape if necessary, like if the box was closed. Then cut a hole, in the middle, so the body can pass through.
Not too much, not too little. This was the hard part for me.
Then assemble the body and the head by cutting a small part on the “body” box, and insert the head.
You ready for the first cover-paint part.
In the meantime, I draw and cut both eyes, using then paint and glitter. I added some modpodge+glitter pearls of white in the eyes, I wanted them to spark.
Theeeeen, it’s time for the colouring. Remember, don’t go to crazy on the paint layers; if your cardboard is too wet, it will warp.
As you can see, we added a tail, and some “protection” around the unicorn’s neck. It’s more stable this way.
And by any means, let dry !
When it’s done, adjust the strings, so it’s already checked.
Then decorate, glue feathers on the tail, and on its the neck… glitter it all.
I added some gold-ish/glitter-ish wings on the sides…
This step took me a long time, one feather at a time. But I most definitely enjoyed it a lot. It took form before my eyes, and my daughter’s eyes, and the sentiment felt GREAT !
So here it is,
It was my first “big” costume DIY, it took a long time but it was sooo worth it!
Thanks to Pinterest and it’s crazy waves of inspirations.
Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any kind of questions.